Abu Tor is a charming blend of Middle Eastern cultures, on a hill only a few hundred yards east of the Old City and the Kotel. Founded in the mid 1800s, it is centrally located south of Yemin Moshe and east of the old railroad station, close walking distance to many of Jerusalem’s southern neighborhoods, such as Rechavia, Talbieh, Baka, the German Colony, Talpiot and Arnona.
The residents include both Jews and Arabs. Abu Tor’s hills provide dramatic views of Mount Zion and the Old City. Some of the most beautiful Jerusalem real estate can be found here on tree-lined streets and paths overlooking the Hinnom Valley with a view of the Temple Mount.
The combination of the old Arab style houses with their high ceilings and colorful gardens, and attractive modern villas and apartment buildings, creates a lovely blend of the old and the new in this middle- to upper-class neighborhood.
Armon HaNatziv (Talpiot HaMizrach), according to Jewish tradition, includes the spot where Abraham and Isaac first saw Mount Moriah, where Abraham came within a hair’s breadth of sacrificing his beloved son.
It is adjacent to one of the first garden neighborhoods of Jerusalem established in the 1920s. The British built the Government House here as the high commissioner’s residence in 1930. It currently houses the UN Observers Headquarters and the UN Emergency Force Headquarters.
Armon HaNatziv is the site of the picturesque Sherover Walkway, Haas Promenade and the lovely Peace Forest. Today, this neighborhood is home to over 17,000 residents in southern Jerusalem. It is close walking distance to Talpiot, Arnona and Baka.
Arnona is a southern Jerusalem neighborhood bordered by Kibbutz Ramat Rachel on one side and the garden neighborhood of Talpiot on the other. With the recent move of the American consulate to this neighborhood, demand – and prices – are increasing for apartments. Arnona is a true suburban neighborhood, divided into houses of many different styles and sizes, many with private entrances and private parking.
A large number of new projects have been built in the area, most on the former farmland of Kibbutz Ramat Rachel. Many overseas buyers have begun to buy in Arnona due to the relatively affordable prices and the convenience of elevators, covered parking, and luxurious new apartments designed in a modern style. Arnona is an easy walk to Baka, the Greek and German Colonies, and Old Katamon, and a reasonable walk to the Old City and the Kotel for fit walkers
Armon HaNatziv (Talpiot HaMizrach), according to Jewish tradition, includes the spot where Abraham and Isaac first saw Mount Moriah, where Abraham came within a hair’s breadth of sacrificing his beloved son. It is adjacent to one of the first garden neighborhoods of Jerusalem established in the 1920s.
The British built the Government House here as the high commissioner’s residence in 1930. It currently houses the UN Observers Headquarters and the UN Emergency Force Headquarters. Armon HaNatziv is the site of the picturesque Sherover Walkway, Haas Promenade and the lovely Peace Forest. Today, this neighborhood is home to over 17,000 residents in southern Jerusalem. It is close walking distance to Talpiot, Arnona and Baka.
An ultra-Orthodox neighborhood founded in 1972, Arzei Habira is located in the northern part of the city near Maalot Dafna, Meah Shearim, Beit Yisrael, Ramat Eshkol, and Morasha. An additional attraction is the close walking distance to the Old City and the Kotel as well as to the nearby yeshivot of Mir and Ohr Sameach.
Baka is a unique idyllic neighborhood with old Arab style houses, many of which have been upgraded and expanded. The neighborhood stretches out on both sides of Derech Beit Lechem. The Cahn Theater and the old train tracks separate Baka from the German Colony.
The name “Baka” is taken directly from the Arabic word meaning “valley” as an indication of the topography of the area. Until the early 1900s, Baka was quiet and empty. In 1922 wealthy Muslim inhabitants and Christians established beautiful private houses in the area. With the War of Independence, the Arabs left the area and new immigrants from North Africa moved into the abandoned homes, During the 1970s the Israeli middle class began to settle in Baka. Many houses were renovated; however, the old architectural style was left intact.
In the last decade, new immigrants from Europe and North America have bought large houses in the area, and French and English are commonly heard in the streets. Today the main street is Derech Beit Lechem, a street bustling with life, featuring designer stores, produce stands, restaurants and service stores. Over 10,000 Jerusalem residents currently make their home in this beautiful neighborhood of Old World style.
Bayit V’gan (Bayit Vegan, Bait Vegan) was founded in 1921-1926 in the western part of the city as one of the six garden neighborhoods, by families wanting to establish a national religious neighborhood. Now this neighborhood is home to many ultra-Orthodox residents as well, with many fine yeshivot and other educational institutions including the Ariel Institutes, Netiv Meir, Kiryat HaNoar, and the Institute of Halachic Technology.
In 1948, during the War of Independence, many battles were fought there which led to the liberation of the areas known today as Kiryat Yovel and Malcha. Located across from the world-renowned Yad VaShem Holocaust Museum and Shaarei Tzedek Hospital, today Bayit Vegan is home to 15,000 residents.
The new homes that have constructed recently are built down the mountain, creating a terraced effect. The neighborhood houses the huge water reservoir that supplies water to the city of Jerusalem. The neighborhood has a mixed ultra-Orthodox and national religious population, more Israeli than Anglo.
Beit Hakerem, Hebrew for “house of the vineyard,” is a western Jerusalem neighborhood providing a home to over 15,000 of the capital’s residents. Established in 1924 as one of the six garden neighborhoods, it has retained its well developed and well maintained greenery, while its predominantly single-family dwellings have been largely replaced with multi-family real estate.
Due to its proximity to the entrance to Jerusalem, in both the 1948 and 1967 wars it served as a base for convoys and troops in the liberation of Jerusalem. Close to the Kiryat Moshe and Yefeh Nof neighborhoods, Beit Hakerem is conveniently located near the respected Shaarei Tzedek Medical Center, the Givat Ram campus of Hebrew University, Mount Herzl and the lovely Jerusalem Forest.
Beit Hakerem was planned by Richard Kaufman, an architect notable for his Bauhaus style. Additionally, Beit Hakerem’s founders intended it to be demographically secular and to that effect its charter prohibited the funding of a public synagogue. While secular residents are still in the majority, many observant people also live there today and maintain numerous religious-communal institutions.
With a new outdoor shopping mall completed in late 2006 and the new Jerusalem Light Rail being built to go directly from Beit Hakerem to the Central Bus Station, the center of the city and the Old City, this lovely Jerusalem residential area is becoming even more popular than ever.
Beit Yisroel (Beit Yisrael, Beis Yisroel) is an ultra-Orthodox community located just north of Meah Shearim. Established in 1886 to create housing for the poorer sectors of this population, Beit Yisroel was on the front lines during the War of Liberation. Until the Six Day War the border was on the neighborhood’s periphery. The founders of the neighborhood were also the earlier founders of Meah Shearim.
Bucharim was founded in the early 1890s by immigrants from Buchara, Russia, who were wealthy and built large homes. Due to the Russian Revolution, the founding residents’ source of funds was cut off. Eventually many Jews from Persia and Iran moved into the neighborhood and there are many historic synagogues in the area. As with the adjacent neighborhoods of Beit Yisroel, Meah Shearim, Geulah and Shmuel Hanavi, the residents are ultra-Orthodox.
The center of the city (Mercaz Ha’ir) of Jerusalem includes many smaller neighborhoods built in the 1880s. The rehabilitation and gentrification of these old historic neighborhoods began in 1985 with Machane Yehuda Market area (the shuk), and continues until today with the introduction of new 9-storey residential buildings.
The main streets are King George and Jaffa Streets. The area is a main commercial center as well as a tourist attraction and an enjoyable place to spend an afternoon. The city center includes many first-class hotels, including the King David, the Prima Kings, the Sheraton, and Lev Jerusalem.
One of the main attractions of this area is the famous pedestrian Ben Yehuda Street with its many shops, restaurants, and cafes. In addition to the commercial and tourist attractions, the center of Jerusalem contains the Great Synagogue and Yeshurun Synagogue with their famous cantors, as well as residential apartments and houses.
The center city area is within walking distance of many neighborhoods, including the religious neighborhood of Meah Shearim, the Old City, Rechavia, and Yemin Moshe.
David’s Village (Kfar David), built in 1990 in part of the old Mamilla district by the Africa-Israel development company and named for King David, is an enclosed new luxury project with special architecturally designed low buildings in keeping with the architecture of the Old City.
Constructed primarily for wealthy overseas residents, the new project began to change the face of the rundown area that had been heavily shelled during the 1948 War of Independence. The complex has 24-hour security guards stationed at the entrances with cameras monitoring the internal streets.
Located in the southeastern part of the city, East Talpiot (Talpiot Hamizrach) is adjacent to North Talpiot and Armon HaNatziv. This neighborhood was built in 1972 as part of a belt of Jewish neighborhoods to encircle the city. There are lovely views to the Judean desert. The residents are a mixture of native Israelis and Western immigrants, both secular and national religious.
Ein Kerem is a pastoral neighborhood located in western Jerusalem, with a rich history beginning in the Bronze Age and continuing through the Byzantine Era. Liberated by Israel in the War of Liberation in 1948, the area has retained its old world charm and pastoral atmosphere.
It was established as a Jewish neighborhood in 1949. Populated first by immigrants from Morocco and Romania, Ein Kerem has passed into the hands of professional people in the past two decades. A center for Christian tourism as a result of the many churches and Christian historical landmarks, Ein Kerem has also become a chic and New Age location for coffee.
Established in approximately 1970 in the northern part of the city for the ultra-Orthodox population.
French Hill (Givat HaTsarfatit) is a northeastern neighborhood of Jerusalem established in 1969. Its location was chosen in part to create contiguity with the Mount Scopus campus of the Hebrew University. Named after the British general French, the neighborhood is officially listed as Givat Shapira, of which French Hill is one of two subsections, the other being Tzameret HaBira. However, French Hill is the more common name for the entire area. Tzameret HaBira was built by an independent group of people, mainly American immigrants, a fact apparent in the nicer apartments and the existence of private homes. Today French Hill’s population is approximately 6,631, including many South American, North American and Russian immigrants.
While most of its nine synagogues are Orthodox, the Conservative Kehilat Ramot Zion draws a large membership, and the first Conservative elementary school in Israel, the Frankel School, is also located in the community. There is a large secular population as well. Many Hebrew University faculty members and students choose to live in French Hill due to its proximity to the campus.
The German Colony (Moshava Germanit) was one of several settlements known as “German Colonies” built in Israel by members of the Christian Templar Society in the second half of the 19th century. The Templars were primarily farmers, hence the name Moshava, an agricultural collective settlement.
The neighborhood was built in the form of a typical German village of the period, with narrow streets, stone fences, thatched rooftops of pine and cypress wood, and a lot of greenery ; however, unlike a typical German village, the houses of the German Colony of Jerusalem were built of the local stone (and not wood and bricks).
The area’s homes have special features, such as fields of trees and green gardens. In 1975 the Colony was declared a historical site in order to preserve its unique flavor. The German Colony is located in southern Jerusalem and expands from both sides of Emek Refaim Street. Today Emek Refaim is one of the most popular streets in Jerusalem, with a cosmopolitan flavor, stylish boutiques, restaurants and coffee houses bustling with life.
The area is next to great cultural spots like the Jerusalem Theater, the Islamic Museum and the Natural Science Museum. It is also just a few minutes walk to the Old City. In the German Colony are two high schools, an elementary school, a variety of preschools, medical centers, community centers and various synagogues of various denominations, due to the many immigrants in the area from France and the United States.
Geulah is an ultra-Orthodox neighborhood located in the heart of downtown Jerusalem between Shiftei Yisroel, Yechezkel and Ezra Streets. Established in 1927-1928, the neighborhood was once home to secular and religious residents but over the years became exclusively Orthodox, with a predominance of Satmar Chassidim.
The British consul James Finn and his wife, Elizabeth Anne, built a large homestead here, the third building to be built outside the walls of the Old City, with agricultural lands to help support the poor of Jerusalem. Today the Gur Yeshiva is located in Geulah and is the largest yeshiva in Israel with over 10,000 seats in its halls of learning
Gilo is a large southwestern Jerusalem neighborhood with many sections, with over 45,000 residents altogether. Established in 1971, after the Six Day War, it was first known for its population of young couples and new immigrants.
The highest point in Jerusalem, Gilo is 882 meters above sea level and is located near the large Park 3000, a heavily forested area which attracts tourists from all over Israel. There are many different archeological remains, from the first Temple period through the Roman–Byzantine period.
A southwestern neighborhood established in 1960, comprised of shikunim (4 story apartment blocks) for new immigrants and young couples. Today, it is flanked by Beit Hakerem and the newly developed area of Ramat Beit Hakerem.
Founded in 1970, Givat HaMivtar is a sub-neighborhood located contiguous to French Hill in the north part of the city, near Mount Scopus and Ramat Eshkol. There were fierce confrontations in the area with the Jordanian troops in the battle for Mount Scopus. There are lovely terraced duplex apartments in this middle-class neighborhood.
A new southwestern neighborhood built and occupied by 1996. Access is through the Ihr Ganim neighborhood. Known for its magnificent surrounding mountain views. The population is mixed — secular and national religious.
A southwestern neighborhood founded in 1955, located below Bayit V’gan to the west and facing Rassco and Kiryat Shmuel to the east. Well known for the Yeshivat Hevron, relocated from Hevron. This neighborhood, although centrally located, has a suburban atmosphere. The population is a working combination of national religious, ultra-Orthodox and secular.
A southwestern neighborhood established after 1948. The surrounding neighborhoods are Old Katamon, Rassco, San Simon and Kiryat Shmuel. The area played an important part in the War of Independence in the conquering of the San Simon area, where Arab fighters were positioned in the San Simon monastery. The population is mixed — national religious and secular.
Givat Shaul is a western neighborhood at the very entrance to Jerusalem, with over 14,000 residents. Named after one of Israel’s first chief rabbis, Rabbi Yaakov Shaul Eliashar, Givat Shaul was first established in 1908 as an agricultural community.
Destroyed over the course of several wars including the First World War, the neighborhood was rebuilt in 1919. After the 1948 War of Liberation, an industrial area was developed in the southwestern part of the neighborhood. From the late 1980s until today, the industrial areas are being replaced by new housing projects.
The Har HaMenuchot Cemetery borders Givat Shaul on its northwestern perimeter, reaching all the way to the newer neighborhood of Har Nof. The southern adjacent neighborhood is Kiryat Moshe. The population is mainly ultra-Orthodox.
Gonen — see Old Katamon and Katamonim neighborhoods.
Founded at the beginning of the 20th century by Greek Orthodox Christians, this south neighborhood has mid-eastern architecturally beautiful villas. After 1948, Jewish immigrants began moving into the area. ‘
Today, it has become one of the more expensive and desirable neighborhoods in Jerusalem due to its short walking distance to the Old City and Talbieh, and the attraction of the main street of Emek Refaim with its ambiance. The surrounding neighborhoods are Old Katamon, the German Colony and Baka. The middle- and upper-class residents are a mixture of national religious and secular.
Same as Tel Arza. This ultra-Orthodox neighborhood was founded in 1931. Originally there were many factories in the area. Recently, in the past 20 years, the area has expanded and there are many new housing developments built in the area to accommodate the growing population.
Created in 1997, Har Homa is one of the most southeastern neighborhoods of Jerusalem, part of the belt of neighborhoods that surrounds Jerusalem. During the initial building of the infrastructure, ruins from the Byzantine Era were found, including stunning mosaics. Nine hundred homes were sold by 2001. The building plan for the neighborhood includes 6500 dwellings. Har Homa’s hills afford a beautiful view of Jerusalem. The population is mixed — national religious and secular.
Located in the western part of the city, accessed through the Givat Shaul area, Har Nof was established in 1984. The name is depictive of the magnificent view of the Judean Hills area including Beit Zayit and Ein Kerem, as well as the surrounding suburban neighborhoods, such as Mevasseret and Motza, that one passes coming into Jerusalem.
To the north, the view is to Ramot, Har Radar and Har Shmuel, where the prophet Samuel is buried. The steepness of the mountain on which Har Nof is built has created different levels in the neighborhood. There are high-rise apartment buildings as well as areas of private villas. The residents run the gamut from national religious to ultra-Orthodox.
There are many synagogues servicing the 20,000 residents; the most well known are the Boston Shul and Rabbi Ovadia Yosef’s Shul. There are also many educational institutions including the famous Neve Yerushalayim campus, many women’s seminaries for overseas post high school girls as well as many Baal Teshuva yeshivot for men.
There is a very high percentage of English speakers. Other immigrant groups include French and South American. As a large proportion of the residents are immigrants, there are many community services that one finds in the Diaspora.
In 2005, occupancy began in the first of eight buildings on the grounds of the Holyland Hotel. This new western neighborhood is an extension of Bayit V’gan to the south and Ramat Sharret to the west and south.
The massive buildings, with their connecting bridge apartments, on top of the mountain ridge, allow a magnificent open view of Jerusalem and the surrounding hills.
The buildings, which have a beautiful green park as their center, have already become a landmark. Still under construction, this community will be completed with a high-rise tower. The residents are a mixture of secular and national religious.
This southeastern neighborhood adjacent to Kiryat Yovel and Kiryat Menachem was established in the early 1950s for immigrants from North Africa. The name, “city of gardens,” reflected the construction of buildings surrounded by gardens. Recently, young couples, part of Kollel groups, both Ashkenazi and Sephardi, have begun to purchase in the area, bringing a new dimension to the neighborhood.
In the south part of the city, this neighborhood, also called Gonenim, was near the Jordanian border. In the early 1950s, housing blocks, or ‘shikunim,’ were built to absorb the North African immigrants.
There are many streets that have low free-standing houses that have received approval for expansion, as they are on large lots. This is one of the areas that has been designated for housing expansion by the city. Surrounding and within close walking distance are the middle and upper class neighborhoods of Old Katamon, San Simon, Greek and German Colonies, Baka and the gentrified Mekor Chayim.
Due to the high prices in the neighboring areas, many young couples, overseas buyers and investors have begun buying into the neighborhood in new projects and renovating the older buildings. The educational institute for women, Matan, and the Eretz Tzvi yeshiva have also contributed to the desirability and public awareness of the neighborhood. There are both religious and secular residents.
Located in the northwest part of the city, the neighborhood was founded in the 1960s by Chassidim who came from the city of Belz in Galicia. The residents are ultra-Orthodox.
Kiryat Hayovel is a southwest Jerusalem neighborhood providing a home for over 20,000 residents. Named for the Jubilee anniversary of Keren Kayemet (JNF) in 1950, the neighborhood was the project of many organizations together, including state workers, unions and Zionist movements.
A popular landmark found in Kiryat Hayovel is the children’s park with the “Monster” slide, the work of artist Nicki de St. Paul. The population is mixed — national religious and secular. Recently, young Kollel couples have begun to move into the area due to housing affordability in the neighborhood.
Located near Kiryat Hayovel and Ihr Ganim in the southwest part of the city, Kiryat Menachem was established in the late 1950s and named for Menachem Bresler, the president of the JNF in the US, who was active in building the neighborhood for mainly North African immigrants. The population is mixed — national religious and secular. Nearby is the memorial Yad Kennedy for the late US President John F. Kennedy.
Kiryat Moshe is a western Jerusalem neighborhood located near the entrance to the city. Established in 1923 and named for Moshe Montefiore, it was the last neighborhood to be built under the foundation’s “New Montefiore Projects” funding.
Over the years Kiryat Moshe, home to the respected School for the Blind and the famous Merkaz HaRav Kook yeshiva and beit midrash, has become a popular religious community.
Located in the northwestern part of the city between Kiryat Belz and Ezrat Torah, this ultra-Orthodox neighborhood was established in 1965 by immigrants from Sanz in Galicia.
Established in 1928 by ultra-Orthodox Jews who came from the Meah Shearim area, this area was named after Rabbi Shmuel Salant. This was a front-line neighborhood that the Hagana defended during the riots of 1928 and 1936-39.
In the War of Independence, 1948, the Israeli forces moved southward to overcome the Arab positions in Katamon and the neighboring areas. Today, it has a mixed population of national religious and secular.
Located west of the City Center, facing an open view of the Israel Museum, the Knesset and Gan Sacher, this neighborhood is a complex of five high-rise buildings with terraced “villas” going down the hill from Diskin Street. The first set of two buildings was built in 1970 and the last three buildings in 1980.
The complex was named after Sir Isaac Wolfson, a British Jewish philanthropist who began the building of the project. Most of the owners are foreign residents and the residents are mainly retirees from overseas.
Shabbat elevators and parking plus stores, cafes and a large medical center within the complex, as well as the close proximity of the adjacent neighborhoods of Rechavia and Shaarei Chesed with their synagogues and restaurants, make this a very desirable place to live. In addition, there is 24-hour surveillance in and around the buildings.
Maalot Dafna is an ultra-Orthodox neighborhood of over 5000 residents on the northern side of Jerusalem. The neighborhood was established in 1972 near the historic landmark of Givat HaTachmoshet.
With Ramat Eshkol just across busy Sderot Eshkol, and Geulah and Meah Shearim bordering it on the east, Maalot Dafna hosts the well-known Ohr Sameach Yeshiva and is in close proximity to the Mir Yeshiva, making it a choice residential location for many overseas yeshiva students as well as young couples.
Machane Yehuda, a central Jerusalem neighborhood, was established in 1887. Its main attraction is the open air market dating back to 1928. With 600 vendors, the Machane Yehuda “shuk” is still the largest in all of Israel.
The neighborhood is rich in Jerusalem’s history and embraces all the largest religious groups found in Israel’s capital throughout the years. Some of the most sizable and respected yeshivot are found within the perimeters of this colorful neighborhood.
Malha is a neighborhood in southwest Jerusalem, named for a Jewish village that existed there in Biblical times. Archaeological excavations have turned up remains from Bronze Age and Roman times. Many years after the destruction of the Second Temple the depopulated village came to be inhabited by Muslim Arabs.
The village was essentially agricultural in character. In 1948, during Israel’s War of Independence, Malha was liberated by Israeli troops. Its Arab inhabitants moved several kilometers away to Bethlehem, which remained under Arab control.
The vacated houses were soon populated by Jewish refugees from Middle Eastern countries. Some years later and now under the jurisdiction of the Municipality of Jerusalem, the village was modernized and a large housing development, officially called Manahat, was established on the nearby hill and its eastern slopes.
This area soon became one of the better neighborhoods of Jerusalem. At the bottom of Manahat Hill lie the large Jerusalem shopping mall (Kanyon Malha), the Teddy Kollek Stadium and the Malha Train Station. Malha also has a Vocational High School (ORT) and a primary school. The Manahat Technological Center with its ultra-modern architecture is a major focus of hi-tech start-ups.
Mamilla was originally established in 1890 just west of the Old City by Muslim and Christian Arabs but during the 1920s was inhabited by Jews as well. The Mamilla district was an important commercial area, site of the municipal buildings as well as the first post office outside the Old City walls.
The War of Liberation in 1948 with its heavy shelling left many buildings badly damaged and deserted; as a result the neighborhood turned into a border area and suffered decay, becoming a home for the poor of Jerusalem. The King David Hotel and the YMCA at the edge of the district maintained some of the neighborhood’s prestige, however.
After the Six Day War, when the area became safe, the residents were evacuated to other neighborhoods so that a major overhaul of the community could be undertaken. Since 1990, Mamilla has developed into the site of many prestigious residential projects.
The new projects, beginning with David’s Village and now King David’s Residence, the Alrov project with its promenade of cafes and stores, and the rebuilding of the famous Palace Hotel by the Reichman family have brought elegance and life back to the area.
This ultra-Orthodox, mainly “Litvish,” neighborhood was established in the early 1960s. Named for the city that the founding immigrants came from, it is adjacent to the Romema and Unsdorf neighborhoods on the northern edge of the mountain plateau upon which the central part of Jerusalem lies.
Another lesser known name is Kiryat Sheva, in memory of seven communities near the original Mattersdorf that were destroyed in the Holocaust. It is the location of the Torah Ore Yeshiva, headed by Rabbi Chaim Pinchas Scheinberg. There are also several large ultra Orthodox girls’ schools.
The Matnas Moshe, Rabbi Moshe Sacks, a notable authority on Jewish law and author of the eponymous commentary on the Torah, Shulchan Aruch and Talmud, lives in the area. A large proportion of residents are immigrants from Western countries.
Meah Shearim is one of the oldest neighborhoods of Jerusalem. It was established in 1874 by a company which originally had 100 shareholders, in order to provide decent housing to the growing “Old Settlement” of the old Jewish Quarter in the Old City.
The original inhabitants were members of the Perushim community, whose parents and grandparents, disciples of the Vilna Gaon, had arrived in Palestine in the early part of the century. The name was taken from Beraishit (Genesis) 26:12, as a prayer and blessing that the community would thrive and expand: Isaac sowed in that land, and in that year he reaped “מאה שערים – a hundredfold”; G-d had blessed him.
The neighborhood has conserved its traditional pious character, with its population exclusively of ultra-Orthodox Jews and the customs of old Hungarian Jewish centers. Because Meah Shearim is the most strictly Orthodox neighborhood in the world, it has slowly become a major tourist attraction.
To counter the flow of scantily-clad tourists and large groups of outsiders, the neighborhood rabbis have had special posters in Hebrew and English put up at every entrance to the neighborhood. They request that tourist groups stay away and that visitors dress modestly.
Mekor Baruch is located northwest of the Machane Yehuda open market and west of Geulah. The neighborhood was established in 1924 by immigrants from North America and eventually professional, middle class sabras.
Over the years, however, the population underwent significant changes and today is mostly ultra-Orthodox. The residents are a mixture of Ashkenazim and Sephardim. Many of the buildings retain the courtyard style of several apartments built surrounding an inner courtyard. There still remains an active industrial area.
Located in the south part of the city adjacent to Baka and the industrial area of Talpiot, Mekor Chaim was founded in 1925. It is one of the six garden neighborhoods founded in the 1920s.
The neighborhood was named after the philanthropist Chaim Cohen who donated money to purchase the land. In 1948, this neighborhood was on the front line. For a time, it was besieged and it was finally liberated together with Baka and Katamon. Recently, many French families have moved into the new buildings, joining the mainly native-Israeli Sephardic residents.
Morasha was established in 1889 northwest of the Old City by wealthy Muslim and Christian Arabs. Most of the neighborhood was destroyed during the War of Liberation in 1948, rebuilt after the war and inhabited by Jewish immigrants from North Africa.
Until the Six Day War in 1967, the neighborhood was the border between Israel and Jordan. It remained a tense area and economically depressed until 1979 when a reclamation project was undertaken. Since that time, a more well-to-do population has moved in and gentrified the community.
The main streets are HaNeviim and Shivtei Yisrael. The proximity to Talbieh, the City Center, the Old City and the ultra orthodox neighborhoods of Meah Shearim and Geulah has created serious interest among overseas buyers. Many well-known developers are building luxury apartment buildings near the Russian Compound, and along the main streets of this historic area.
Nachlaot is a colorful neighborhood located in the very heart of Jerusalem between Shaarei Chesed/Rechavia and Machane Yehuda. It comprises small neighborhoods of differing real estate values, each with its own rich history. Some sections were established as early as 1880 and others in the 1920s.
The neighborhood has experienced a renaissance and has been undergoing gentrification during the past decade to the present. The demand for this neighborhood is due in large part to its easy access to the south and north neighborhoods as well as to the Old City.
With an extremely diverse population, today the trend is toward Orthodox and ultra-Orthodox with many English-speaking families, young and not-so-young, settling comfortably into the idiosyncratic architecture and population.
Founded in 1924 by Rabbi Shlomo Chaim (Iraqi) Katz for the Yemenite community. Today, this is the section that is between Betzalel Street and the Nachalat Tzadok/Shaarei Chesed area.
This is the one of the most expensive sections, due to its proximity to the Rechavia area. Most of the new owners are overseas buyers who build expensive townhouses on the narrow attached lots.
Founded in 1869, this was the third neighborhood established outside the walls of the Old City. This area was called “Shiva” (seven) for the 7 founders of the neighborhood – and Rivlin & Yoel Salomon Streets were named after two of these individuals. Today, the area is mainly a pedestrian mall with restaurants, cafes and many shops of jewelry, art galleries and crafts.
This small neighborhood was founded in 1908 and named after Rabbi Tzadok HaCohen, the chief Rabbi of French Jewry. Located between Shaarei Chesed and Nachlat Ahim, this is the most expensive and exclusive neighborhood in the area. The lots are larger than in the adjacent neighborhoods and beautiful homes with gardens and courtyards are built.
Nayot was founded in 1962 and is located in the southwestern part of the city, opposite the Botanical Gardens, with the Israel Museum to the west, Herzog Boulevard and the neighborhoods of Kiryat Shmuel and Rassco to the east, and to the north, the Valley of the Cross.
It is a short walk to the south part of Rechavia. The original residents were English-speaking immigrants, and today it has a mixed population, mainly secular and traditional, with many native Israelis living there.
Neve Shaanan is a small pastoral neighborhood on the border of Nayot, between the Israel Museum and Givat Ram.
Located in the north part of the city north of Pisgat Zeev , this neighborhood was first established in the mid 1920s, destroyed in 1948 and rebuilt in 1972.
The population is mixed — national religious and secular. The residents of the newer section, Kiryat Kaminetz, are national religious and ultra-Orthodox. The population includes Hebrew, Russian and English speakers.
Located in the southeastern part of the city between Talpiot and East Talpiot, North Talpiot is in close proximity to Baka and the German Colony. It was established in 1935 and today has lovely new housing projects around a large green park that are attracting many overseas buyers. There are many French residents in addition to the native Israeli population.
The Jewish Quarter (Rova HaYehudi) is located in the southeastern part of the Old City, in the section called the “Upper City” of the Second Temple Period, and faces the Western Wall and the Temple Mount.
This special neighborhood, the epicenter of the spiritual world, is divided into four quarters – the Jewish, the Armenian, the Christian and the Muslim Quarters. In the time of the 1st and 2nd Temple periods, many Kohanim and wealthy Jews lived in this area. Many of the homes have high domed ceilings and walls 18 – 24 inches (40 – 60 cm) thick, dating back 900 years.
The revival of the Jewish Quarter began after the ‘67 war that liberated the area and the Western Wall. There are strict regulations regarding the renovations of the homes. For example, there are no solar heating units on the roofs as it detracts from the architectural beauty of the rounded roofs of the homes.
The residents are mainly religious, from national religious to different types of ultra-Orthodox. The Jewish Quarter has many synagogues, some quite historic, one of which, the Hurva, has now been rebuilt from the bombing of the synagogue by the Jordanians.
Old Katamon, built in the 1920s during the British Mandate and known as the “Flower Garden of Jerusalem,” is located between the neighborhoods of Talbieh, Kiryat Shmuel, the Greek Colony, and Givat Oranim. Old Katamon was established as a Jewish neighborhood following its liberation in 1948 by the Hagana and Palmach.
The beautiful villas abandoned by former Arab residents became home to new immigrants who started to arrive from Middle-Eastern countries. The early 1970s saw the onset of a process of renewal in the area.
The neighborhood of Old Katamon has a romantic style, featuring beautifully designed houses with yards, pragmatically located close to the center of town. In the neighborhood are schools, preschools and synagogues of many different varieties; best known are the Shteiblich and Yakar. The population is a mixture of national religious, secular and chareidi, notably the ultra-Orthodox Erloi Chassidic group.
Located in the southern part of the city, adjacent to Katamonim and Beit Safafa, near the Malha Mall and Talpiot industrial area, Patt was established in 1971. The original residents were mainly from North Africa. Recently, the area has begun to be gentrified.
Located in the north part of the city between French Hill and Neve Yaakov, Pisgat Zeev was built in 1984. This sprawling neighborhood is comprised of 5 sections and has a mixed population of secular and national religious.
Located between Beit Hakerem, Shaarei Tzedek Hospital, Bayit V’gan and Yefei Nof, Ramat Beit Hakerem was built in the early 1990s. It is mainly an Israeli middle class neighborhood that is secular and national religious.
Located between Kiryat Yovel to the southwest, Ramat Sharett to the northwest, and Malha to the northeast, Ramat Denya was founded in 1970 and named after the construction company that built its houses, mostly high-rise buildings with a lovely view of Jerusalem. The residents are mainly secular.
Ramat Eshkol was founded in 1969 and was named after Levi Eshkol, a prime minister of Israel. Before the Six Day War in 1967, this open area was a frontier position between the Israeli and Jordanian armies. With the conquest of Ammunition Hill, the way was clear for the liberation of the Old City and east Jerusalem.
Located in northern Jerusalem, it borders Maalot Dafna to the east, Sanhedria Murhevet to the west and French Hill to the North. It has become one of Jerusalem’s most sought-after locations for young ultra-Orthodox families, especially English speakers.
In addition, the spacious villas on Ramat HaGolan street have attracted religious overseas buyers. The neighborhood is within walking distance of the Mount Scopus campus of Hebrew University and the Kotel as well as the nearby Ohr Sameach and Mir yeshivas.
Was founded in 1974 and named after Moshe Sharett, the first foreign minister of Israel and also its prime minister. The neighborhood is in the western part of the city and located between Bayit V’gan and Holyland Park to the north and Ramat Denya to the South.
To the east are Malcha and the nearby Biblical Zoo. The area is basically secular. However with its proximity to Bayit V’gan, religious families have begun to move into the area. The area comprises mainly terraced apartment buildings, duplex cottages, and high-rise buildings.
Located in the north part of the city between Ramot and French Hill on a mountain ridge, Ramat Shlomo faces the east, across the valley to the neighborhoods of Sanhedria Murchevet and Ramat Eshkol. Built in 1996, the new ultra-Orthodox neighborhood was named after Rabbi Shlomo Zalman Auerbach.
The neighborhood is divided into different religious sections based upon the synagogue and group that was assigned to that area. There are national religious, Litvish, and Chassidic (including Chabad) sections.
Ramot is one of the largest neighborhoods in Jerusalem, with about 60,000 residents. It is situated in the northeastern part of the city and divided into 5 sections, from Ramot 01 to Ramot 06 (the newest section). (There is no Ramot 05, as the corresponding Hebrew letter is also used to represent G-d’s name, and has therefore been omitted.) It is just southwest of the grave of Samuel the Prophet.
This area was under Jordanian control until liberated in the Six Day War. The population is ethnically and religiously diverse, and housing ranges from expensive single-family homes to relatively inexpensive multi-level apartments. One of the ultra orthodox neighborhoods, Ramot Polin, has unique architecture: the buildings look like beehives.
Ramot is a relatively new area by Jerusalem standards; construction began in the 1970s and continues today. There are beautiful views from each section. The southwestern and southeastern areas face the northern and western neighborhoods that are across the valley at the western entrance of Jerusalem.
The northern areas almost meet the township of Mevasseret on the mountain ridge. All sections of Ramot have a large, growing population of secular, national religious and ultra-Orthodox families, both native Israelis and immigrants of all ages. Ramot has a large English-speaking community, which is mostly located in Ramot 01, 02 and 04. There are many synagogues and yeshivas as well as other community institutions.
A southwestern neighborhood founded in 1951, Rassco, or “Givat Havradim,” is located opposite the Jerusalem Botanical Gardens, facing west to the hill opposite Givat Mordechai and Bayit V’gan, east to Kiryat Shmuel and Givat Oranim, and a close walk to Old Katamon.
To the north is the southern part of Rechavia. The popularly used name Rassco is for the development company that built the first houses. It is a mixed neighborhood of secular and national religious.
Rechavia is one of Jerusalem’s most interesting areas from an architectural and historical perspective. One of the first of the “garden” neighborhoods built during the British Mandate, from 1923 – 1936, it is located north of the neighborhoods of Talbieh and Kiryat Shmuel, and adjacent to Shaarei Chesed.
The large villas that were built reflect economic and social status as well as personal style – the owners hired talented architects with creative new designs. Rechavia was the “classic garden neighborhood,” founded on thirty acres of land, but the area has experienced change over time.
In the 1960s, many internal roads such as Gaza and Ramban Street turned into external roads linking the area with the city center. A number of the houses were turned into private offices or demolished with new homes being constructed in their place. Nevertheless,, the basic quality of the neighborhood remained intact. Rechavia in the 1990s remained, to some degree, a preservation of an all-but-vanished world.
A walk through the neighborhood’s streets, with buildings from the Mandate period flanked by trees, continues to be an aesthetic treat. Gaza is a lively street with many cafes, as well as banks and stores. Rechavia is in a central location, close to the Great Synagogue, the Sheraton Plaza and the downtown district. It owes its pastoral appearance mainly to its overall garden neighborhood plan and abundant greenery.
Romema is located in the northern part of the city, near the western entrance, founded in 1921. The original homes were private houses with high ceilings and courtyards. Residents were mainly secular. After 1948, many “shikunim,” project-type buildings, were built to accommodate new immigrants.
The adjacent neighborhood is Mekor Baruch. Today, the upper western part of the area is called Romema Ilit. The whole area has become very active with the building of new projects geared for overseas as well as local residents who want to be in the area near the Belz and Gur synagogues and institutions. The population today is mainly ultra-Orthodox.
Located in the south part of the city adjacent to Givat Oranim and Katamonim, San Simon was the site of the fierce battle with the Iraqi Arabs within the Greek Orthodox monastery that was built in 1859. From this point, the Arabs were able to control south Jerusalem.
Today, there are high-rise buildings, seven to eight stories high, as well as small homes. The beautiful San Simon Park allows a shortcut to Old Katamon. The residents today are secular and national religious, mainly Israeli, French and American. There is a Young Israel-style synagogue on Ben Baba Street.
Located northwest of Sanhedria, Sanhedria HaMurhevet was built in 1971 to accommodate the population growth of Sanhedria. It too is located near the tombs of the members of the Sanhedrin from the Second Temple period.
Sanhedria is an ultra-Orthodox neighborhood located in northern Jerusalem, bordering on Ramat Eshkol. Established in 1926, it was evacuated after the 1929 Hevron massacre. However, after the establishment of the State in 1948 and despite its proximity to the border with Jordan, the neighborhood began once again to prosper.
After the Six Day War it became known as Sanhedria. The Sanhedrian Park is located here with its burial caves from the time of the Second Temple.
The Sanhedrian cemetery, built when the Jewish cemetery at Mt. Scopus was inaccessible, is also located within the neighborhood. Rabbi Arye Levine is one of many famous rabbis buried there.
Shaarei Chesed is a religious neighborhood at the north edge of Rechavia. The adjacent neighborhoods are Nachlat Tzaddok, Nachlaot and Rechavia. It was established in 1909 as a neighborhood for poor people who had no place to live.
The neighborhood was built according to a plan of many attached one-story houses, built on narrow lots, each with a small courtyard, but starting in 1975 there was an acceleration of renewal and people began to renovate with stonework and different pavements.
The new houses were bigger than the original structures with additional floors added on. Today, most of the land is zoned for individual houses or two separate apartments. The facades of the buildings are protected to maintain the unique charm of the neighborhood.
The area is especially popular with the Orthodox community, and the new residents of the area are mostly wealthy religious Jews from Western and European countries. One of the main attractions are the numerous synagogues of many religious varieties in this small neighborhood.
Shaarei Chesed is close to the Great Synagogue, many hotels and the center of town. On Keren Kayemet L’Yisrael Street are a high school, pharmacies, stores, and restaurants.
Located in the north part of the city near the neighborhoods of Bucharim, Sanhedria, Maalot Dafna and Arzei Habira, Shmuel Hanavi was built in the 1960s and housed a low socio-economic population.
The buildings, “shikunim,” are project-style with 3 to 4 separate entrances. In the 1990s, the area underwent rehabilitation. The buildings were expanded and given a facelift. The residents of the area are ultra-Orthodox.
Talbieh was established in 1923 and is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in Jerusalem. The prosperity of the neighborhood can be seen in the number of magnificent mansions and buildings of important government officials such as the President’s House on Jabotinsky, the National Academy of Science, and the Van Leer Institute.
In the early 1970s the Jerusalem Theater was established and added to the list of Talbieh’s attractions. The residents are upper middle class, and secular or national religious. The wealthiest streets of the neighborhood include Hovevei Tzion, Disraeli, and Dubnov. In the neighborhood it is possible to see a rich variety of buildings from the Mandate period, as well as authentic Arab houses that have been expanded or have had additions made to their original structures.
In Talbieh, many houses have been declared historical and are protected. This is a quiet neighborhood with one-way streets and green gardens. In the neighborhood are various synagogues all along the spectrum of observance. Famous synagogues in the area include the one on Hovevei Tzion Street, and the Chopin synagogue.
The neighborhood is located at the edge of the center of the city of Jerusalem, between Rechavia to the north, the German Colony to the south and Old Katamon to the west. Talbieh is a short walking distance from the Old City, and hosts most of the hotels. These features make this neighborhood a prime choice for overseas buyers from North America and Europe. A large portion of the land is owned by the Greek Orthodox Church.
Located in the southern part of Jerusalem, Talpiot was established in 1922 as one of the six “garden” communities at the beginning of the British Mandate. It was a true suburban community with sprawling land between the homes.
In 1948, the area was cut off from the main city of Jerusalem until the Six Day War. At the south end of the neighborhood was the no man’s land that separated Israel from Jordan.
After 1967, to increase the number of residents in the area, low apartment buildings of 3-4 stories were built, maintaining the suburban atmosphere. The close proximity to Baka and the German Colony has attracted many overseas buyers, especially the French.
Today, North Americans have begun to purchase in the area as well. There are beautiful views from the area and from some places you can see the Dead Sea and Jordan.
Same as Gush 80. This ultra-Orthodox neighborhood was founded in 1931. Originally there were many factories in the area. Recently, in the past 20 years, the area has expanded and there are many new housing developments built in the area to accommodate the growing population.
Tzameret Habira, located in the north part of the city adjacent to French Hill, was established in 1972. The Jordanian artillery was positioned nearby and destroyed during the Six Day War. The residents are mainly Israeli secular, and recently religious American buyers have begun to buy in the terraced housing. There is a lovely view to Jordan and to the Dead Sea.
Located to the southwest of Beit Hakerem and bordering the Jerusalem Forest, Yefei Nof was established in 1929. The residents are mainly secular native Israelis. Menachem Begin was a famous resident of the area.
Located near the City Center, and west of Meah Shearim, Zichron Moshe was founded in 1906, one of the six neighborhoods named after Sir Moses Montifiore. The original streets were built with spacious houses with courtyards and gardens.
The early residents were modern and secular, the intellectuals and civic leaders. Today, the neighborhood is Israeli ultra-Orthodox, consistent with the character of the adjacent neighborhoods of Meah Shearim and Geulah.
Located south of Talbieh, north of Abu Tor, opposite Mount Zion and the walls of the Old City, Yemin Moshe is one of six neighborhoods named after Sir Moses Montefiore. The poor Ashkenazi and Sephardi population who lived there were relocated to Meah Shearim and Nachlaot respectively.
After the establishment of the neighborhood in 1892, the neighborhood maintained two separate sections for the Ashkenazi and Sephardi residents. During the Six Day War, due to the proximity to the Jordanian positions, the residents left for safer neighborhoods.
After 1967 until today, the neighborhood underwent gentrification and the abandoned homes were bought by well-to-do professionals and artists who have created a wealthy and luxurious neighborhood.
The neighborhood streets are for pedestrians only, with parking at the top and bottom. There is a development company that has instituted strict rules as to who can become a resident of the neighborhood. The residents are secular and national religious.
Located near the City Center, and west of Meah Shearim, Zichron Moshe was founded in 1906, one of the six neighborhoods named after Sir Moses Montifiore. The original streets were built with spacious houses with courtyards and gardens.
The early residents were modern and secular, the intellectuals and civic leaders. Today, the neighborhood is Israeli ultra-Orthodox, consistent with the character of the adjacent neighborhoods of Meah Shearim and Geulah.